A Self Addressed Stamped Envelope or SASE is an envelope for sending postal letters – with the sender’s name and address already printed on the envelope. SASE is also referred to as a stamped self addressed envelope (or SSAE) or a stamped addressed envelope (SAE).
In this blog, we shall learn more about a self addressed stamped envelope and how you can send it.
What is a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope?
The self addressed stamped envelope is just like any other envelope used to send letters. However, it differs from other envelopes in the following 2 ways:
- The name and address of the sender are printed on the envelope.
- The postage cost of the return post to the sender is already covered with the affixed postage.
A SASE is generally used when the sender of the letter is expecting a response from the recipient. SASE makes it more convenient for recipients to respond to the sent letter as they do not need to specify the recipient’s name and address. Additionally, they don’t need to pay the postal charges as these are borne by the original sender.
Here are some scenarios where a self addressed stamped envelope is used:
- Collecting the autograph of a celebrity.
- When a sweepstake company wants its users to participate in their next contest or event.
- For charity companies to request a donation from its members.
Additionally, it’s important that you send correctly. Let’s discuss that in the next section.
How to Send a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
Here is what you need:
- Purchase the right envelope.
The first step in sending a SASE is to purchase the correct envelope. Make sure that the envelope is of the right size to hold the content that the recipient will send back to you.
You can also use a self-sealing envelope to make it more convenient for the recipient to respond to your letter. Additionally, make sure the envelope is not already sealed, so that recipients can put their content inside the envelope before returning it to you.
- Write your complete address.
The next step is to write (or print) your full name and return address on the envelope. Preferably, write these details in the center of the envelope.
- Add the postage stamp.
The next step is to add the postage stamp to your SASE. Make sure this stamp covers the cost of sending the return envelope back to you.
You can determine the amount of the postal stamp based on the size and weight of the envelope. You also need to check the current postal rates (on any postage website or from the local post office) before affixing the postal stamp on the envelope.
Fix the postage stamp on the top right corner of the envelope. You need to check for the right stamps if you happen to send the SASE to a different country. Check any online website or local post office for the types of stamps you can use.
- Add instructions if required.
SASE recipients must know clearly what action they need to perform. This can be conveyed by adding instructions outside the SASE. For example, “Please send your response in the enclosed envelope.” Additionally, you can add a note and enclose it within the main envelope.
- Insert the SASE in the main envelope.
The next step is to insert the unsealed SASE within the main envelope, along with additional content if necessary. Make sure your main envelope is larger than the SASE so that it does not damage the SASE during transit.
Once you have sealed the main envelope, write the recipient’s address on the main envelope. Additionally, fix the postage stamp of the correct amount on the main envelope.
- Send the letter to your recipient.
The final step is to send your letter (with the enclosed SASE) to your recipient. You can either drop your letter in a mailbox or use the facilities of your local post office.
Also Read: Envelope Liners Printing Techniques: A Guide to Achieving a Professional Look
Additional tips for Sending a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
Here are some additional tips:
- Double-check the recipient’s address as well as your return address before sending a SASE.
- Affix the postage stamp of the right amount on the SASE to avoid any delays or inconvenience to the recipient.
- Add clear instructions on the SASE (or any additional note) so that the recipient knows exactly what needs to be done.
- Give sufficient time for SASE recipients to receive and respond to your sent letter.
- Keep the SASE unsealed for the recipient to respond to your letter.
A self addressed stamped envelope is one of the most convenient ways of ensuring that senders receive a quick response from the recipients. With these easy steps, you can ensure that the entire process is smooth and efficient.
Continental Envelope is among the largest printers of a variety of customized envelopes in the Midwest. With over 80 years of industry experience, you can get the best custom direct mail envelopes that fit your business needs.
We are here to help your business. Contact us today with your complete details.